Monday, January 5, 2009

Day 5 Jan 5th




I went down to the harbor after school today and thought I might get a picture of a sunset. What I decided on instead was a picture of my hometown. This is Cordova, Alaska. Population about 2000 in the wintertime and about twice that many people during the summertime. The reason it doubles is that Cordova is a fishing town so people come here for commercial fishing of salmon. Cordova is the home of the famous Copper River Red salmon. I used to work in the cannery in high school and during college. I also worked several summers on the Copper River Flats and in Prince William Sound on a fishing tender. That is basically a boat that is used to haul salmon from the fishing grounds into the canneries.
That brings me to the other photo. This is a picture of our boat harbor during the wintertime. Pretty quiet and sleepy.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Marleen! Someday, I'm going to come and visit you in Cordova. Because I think that it surely must be one of the most beautiful places in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, BEAUTIFUL views! (but boy do they look COLD, I'm a warm climate girl myself...just trying to convince the hubbs to make the move LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, Marleen. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll add my WOW to the others!!! GORGEOUS photos!!! And I loved reading about your hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful photos and scenery, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't get enough of your photos of Alaska!! You have such a wonderful eye for nature photography and I was so glad to see that you were participating in this project!! These are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete